Friday, January 09, 2009

For His sake

I have been reviewing 1 John. My discussion with Jeff, prompted me to re-read this epistle for the umpteenth time. I got to 1 John 2:12 and my eyes just kept coming back to this verse...

1 John 2:12 says
12I am writing to you, little children, because(T) your sins are forgiven for his name’s sake (ESV)

12I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.(KJV)

[12]I am writing to you, little children, because your sins are forgiven for his sake (RSV)


I kinda like RSV on this one, though the ESV and KJV are absolutely wonderful translations of this passage too. Literally the end reads "your sins are forgiven through/by means of his name".

I tell you why RSV strucked me. I had been in many years in Charismania and using and praying in "Jesus' name" is used a lot in that movement. This phrase "in Jesus' name" is vaguely understood and in some sectors it is even thought that it is the literal name "Jesus" that gets God's attention/favor. The name itself works like like a mantra or a formula.

Coming back to the Gospel, the Cross, 1 John 2:12 strikes me now with the Gospel behind it. It is for Christ's sake that we are forgiven because He paid for those sins at the Cross. In this instance the RSV got this home to me because I was conditioned by the literal use of "Jesus". The reason why God favors us with forgiveness is because Jesus did not just stand there, this Jesus went to the Cross, took my sins and yours on his body on the tree and there received the wages of that sin, separation from God, so that God does not have to separate us from Himself ever again.

Dr. Steven Hein said something like this in Issues Etc; he said, God abandoned This One-Christ, so that God might not abandon you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too, like the RSV version.

It was, and is for His sake, that our sins are forgive.

Because of Christ and Christ alone, we can stand justified before a Holy and Righteous God.

We are declared righteous for Jesus sake...alone.

Thanks L.P.C.!

Becky said...

>it is even thought that it is the literal name "Jesus" that gets God's attention/favor. The name itself works like like a mantra or a formula.

I have noticed this with some of my Charismatic friends. One of them has even said that all one has to do is tag on Jesus' name at the end of any type of prayer, and it will become a valid prayer.

As I read 1 John 2, I was touched at the way John referred to his readers as "little children." The little children that Jesus wanted to come to Him. The ones that Jesus told His disciples to "feed His lambs." The Apostle John was the last Apostle living, so I suppose he was thought of with great fondness by the Christians that had opportunity to receive and/or read his letter.

He encourages us not to sin, but assures us that Christ is our advocate. Oh, I know how much I would like someone to be on my side - to see to it that I won't fail or be forgotten amid all the powers that be.

Because of His good name, His perfect name, Jesus, Savior, the sins I try not to do, but they get done in spite of myself, are cancelled out. Jesus' name can do that.

Thanks for the mini devotional tonight!

William Weedon said...

O Lito,

We don't want to lose the name! The name is the Baptismal link - the locator of where sins ARE forgiven.

LPC said...

SM,

Thanks that you got my point.

LPC

LPC said...

RL,

In a way you validate my observation amongst my charismatic friends.

Indeed we are included in the address "little children".

God bless you, I prayed for you the other day .

LPC

LPC said...

Pr. W.

Yes I said the ESV/KJV are good translations too, and the RSV brings the implication of this sense in "his".

RSV struck me because it brings out what the BOC says.

LPC

David Cochrane said...

John 20:

30 Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book;


31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in his name. RSV

Yes the forgiveness of sin is located in the name of Jesus and the name is where we have life through belief.

Great posting LPC!

LPC said...

D.C.

Sometimes the RSV is not that bad. I understand that ESV got the RSV as its base.

Blessings, bro.

LPC